AIR BRAKE INSTRUCTION SET FOR JUNE 16
The Pacific Southwest Railway Museum will meet on June 16, 1968, upstairs in the Santa Fe Station Safety room, at 7:30 p.m. That is the third Sunday in June.
The main topic will be instruction for members in air brake operation. The man in charge of instruction will be our General Superintendent, Robert DiGiorgio.
YES, ITS BEEM MOVED!
Just in case you haven't noticed, PSRMA's shay No. 3 was recently moved from the spur behind Standard Iron Works. It is presently stored on a Santa Fe yard track near the yard office.
It will most likely remain there until it is used to help celebrates National City's 100th anniversary on June 7. After its journey to National City the shay is expected to be stored on a spur just south of Harbor Drive on Crosby Street.
2-8-2T EXPECTED SOON
The Georgia Pacific Corporation will soon ship its 2-8-2T, Number 11, out of Powers, Oregon. It may even be on its way by the time you read this article.
It, too, will be stored on the same spur with the shay when it arrives. Plans are being made to fire up the 2-8-2T and the shay soon after the engine arrives in San Diego.
NOMIMATION OF OFFICERS IN JULY
Just a reminder, don't forget that our regular business meeting in July is the time for nominating our officers for 1969. Its time to think about who you would like to have for next years slate.
They will be elected at our last quarterly business meeting in October.
THE CUYAMACA LINE-
-ITS! A ROLLER COASTER
The Southern California land boom of the 1880's brought about the building of several local railroads in the San Diego area. One, the San Diego, Cuyamaca & Eastern, was formed with the idea of building a railroad from San Diego and over Warner's pass to a connection with other roads from the east.
Started in 1886, the line was built to Lakeside by March 30, 1889. 3.3 miles more were built in 1889, extending the line to Foster, which became the permanent terminal.
The Cuyamaca line with its sharp curves and steep grades began at 9th and "H" (now Commercial) streets and ran out "H" Street, through Mount Hope Cemetery, Encanto, Lemon Grove, La Mesa, El Cajon, Santee, and Lakeside to Foster. The line's steepest gradient is on Commercial Street, where it gets up to 3.5% between 16th and 17th streets.
Not quite as steep, but more taxing on motive power, is the 2.88% grade westward between El Cajon and Grossmnont. This grade is longer and has several curves which make train friction quite a problem.
The Line was merged with the San Diego Southern in March, 1912, to form the San Diego and Southeastern Railway. A few years later in 1917, the SD&SE became a part of the San Diego and Arizona Railway.
Like other lines in the county the Cuyamaca was hard hit by the 1916 floods. Portions of the line between Santee and Foster were demolished. That part of the line between Lakeside and Foster was abandoned at that time.
During the 1920's the line ran eight passenger carrying trains. Some ran to Lakeside, while others were turned at La Mesa. Most schedules were operated with General Electric gas-electric cars with at least one mixed steam train besides.