The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad was the leader for a number of years in the development of the locomotive. Among the earlier designs brought out by this road was an 8-wheeled engine known as the Camel-Back, so-called from its appearance, and frequently spoken of as the Winans, as its design was developed in 1844 by Ross Winans, a prominent locomotive builder of a half century ago.
The illustration shown in Fig.4a represents the Hayes 10-Wheeler with side rods removed, which was built after designs prepared in 1853 by Samuel J. Hayes of the B. & 0. Fig. 4b is from an original drawing of one of the earlier types of the same engine and shows more of the details of construction. This locomotive is oftentimes improperly called the Camel-Back or Winans engine because of its close resemblance to the Winans. The name Camel-Back, as given to the Winans engine and also to the Hayes 10-Wheeler, was given on account of the peculiar appearance of the locomotive, which, in fact, did resemble a camel's humped back. This appearance was due to the fact that a large cab was placed on the central portion of the boiler, and also to the rapidly receding back end of the boiler. The weight of the Hayes 10-Wheeler is 77,100 pounds, of which 56,500 pounds are on the drivers and 20,060 pounds are on the front truck. The diameter of the front truck wheels is 28 inches and that of the drivers, 50 inches. The fire-box is 42¼ inches long and 59¼ inches wide. The boiler has a total heating surface of 1,176.91 square feet, 1,098 square feet of this amount being in the flues. There are 134 tubes 2¼ inches in diameter and 13 feet 11 inches long.
Table of Contents; Page 3; Page 6; Index